English Teaching Opportunities at Yulin University
Three full time native English teachers are wanted every year. Contracts are for one academic year (eleven months) or longer, beginning in September.
We are looking for English speakers, preferably from English-speaking countries. The following qualifications are necessary:
-Hold a university degree or above.
-Certification to teach English as a second language, such as ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL.
-Applicants must be under 60 years of age and be in good health.
Foreign teachers are assigned teaching hours by the University. The average teaching hours for each foreign teacher will not exceed 14 hours per week. In addition, the foreign teachers collectively share in the responsibility of managing the Foreign Languages Department's extracurricular activities, including Chat Room, English Corner, and the English language student newspaper. Also, foreign teachers serve as judges during the University's English Speech Contest, and are occasionally asked to do other work as well.
1. Monthly salary (after tax): 4500 to 5500 RMB Yuan;
2. Accommodation: You are provided with a heated, rent-free apartment which includes at least one bedroom, study, living room, kitchen, bathroom, toilet, etc., and which is furnished with a wardrobe, a bookcase, a desk, a chair, a bed, a quilt and mattress, a pillow, curtains, shower, a TV set, free gas, water and electricity, a refrigerator, a washing machine, a microwave oven, cooking facilities, a direct-line telephone with international calling capabilities (Free local calls; Fees for long-distance phone calls NOT exceeding 40 RMB Yuan per month are also paid by the University.), a computer with free Internet access, and a printer.
3. Health and Medical Care: The University will buy relevant medical insurances for you in China. In addition, you are provided with all possible assistance if you are sick. The University will also be responsible for your medical care during your work period at Yulin University, and will cover all costs not in excess of 400 RMB Yuan. Costs in excess of that sum must be met by the foreign teacher or by the insurance company if relevant.
4. Holidays: You will enjoy one paid vacation (usually winter) of approximately 40 days during the period of contract, as well as all Chinese legal public holidays.
5. Travel Bonus: You will be paid 2,200 RMB Yuan travel bonus when one academic year contract is finished.
6. Relevant Certificates: The University will make necessary arrangements for and provide free of charge all official documents needed for you to work at the University including residence permit, foreign experts card and physical examination record in China (You are expected to pay your visa to enter China).
7. International Airfare: You will be paid a round-trip economy class international air ticket between China and your country and a round-trip domestic economy class air ticket between Yulin and Beijing or Shanghai.
8. Sick and Private Affairs Leave: Up to 30 days consecutive paid sick leave with note from doctor and up to 7 days consecutive paid private affairs leave upon approval of the University.
9. Free Daily Chinese language classes: You are allowed to attend, free of charge, Chinese language classes offered to international students.
1. Full time 24 hours support.
2. Official letter of invitation and sponsorship for visas and permits.
3. Local sightseeing tour during vacations.
4. Pick-up at Yulin airport or Yulin bus/train terminal.
We have a cafeteria for both the staff and students. Meals typically cost 3-5 RMB Yuan per person.
Outside the school gate there is a wide variety of restaurants, with cooking styles from, among other regions, Lanzhou, Sichuan, and Heilongjiang. Prices vary widely, but normally meals outside the campus run from 5-10 RMB Yuan per person.
You will have a kitchen in your apartment which will allow you to cook for yourself as well. Also, you are likely to find that students, other teachers or the University will occasionally invite you to dinner.
You may contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our post address is: International Affairs Office, Yulin University, Yulin City 719000, Shaanxi, PRC
- Inform us of your wish to work at Yulin university by Email (email@example.com), Tel. (+86-912-3893982), or Fax (+86-912-3896329), and request that THE APPLICATION FORM be sent.
- After filling in the Application Form, please email it, together with your CV/Resume and a scanned copy of your graduation certificate (or certification for the highest degree you have obtained) and certification to teach English as a second language, such as ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL by firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once the application has been approved, the contract and the appendix to the contract will be emailed to you.
- After the contract is signed, we will ask you to send us via International EMS: 1) a copy of your graduation certificate or certification for the highest degree you have obtained; 2) a copy of your passport; 3) a copy of your health examination record; 4) the last pages of the contracts with your name signed; 5) five passport photos to attach on the work permit application forms.
- With these documents, we will apply for your work permit and file your visa application form. We will send the completed forms to you so that you will be able to apply through your local Chinese embassy for a Z Visa.
- Pack your bags and hop a flight to Beijing or Shanghai, China.
- From Beijing or Shanghai you can come to Yulin by air, bus or train, although for newcomers air travel is usually the easiest means of transportation.
- Notify us of your flight/bus/train information, and we will come to the Yulin Airport or the bus/railway terminal to pick you up.
- After arriving at Yulin University, you can relax in your cozy, spacious apartment.
Summary Questions and Answers for Candidates
1. Questions regarding general facts about Yulin University:
a. Number of students?
b. Strongest and most highly-regarded majors of study available?
c. Most popular majors?
d. Future plans for growth – buildings, programs, students, and an indicator of that rate of growth?
e. Other facts or materials that can be emailed?
Answers: Please see “General Information of Yulin University”, as well as the web-site, http://www.yulinu.edu.cn (if that site does not immediately open, please use this site address for a Google search and when the Yulin University site listing comes up, please enter the site from there.)
2. Questions regarding job description:
a. When does the school year start and end, when must foreign teachers be in Yulin, and is there time off?
b. What is the type or nature of the classes or subjects to be taught?
c. How many classes per day/per week?
d. What is the maximum and average number of students per class?
e. Are there competitions or examinations available for students and faculty to strive to demonstrate excellence in English?
Answers: The academic year starts on September 1 and closes on July 20 or so. The teachers are expected to come three days prior to September 1. We have two semesters, with the first beginning on September 1 and ending on January 20 or so, and the second beginning at the end of February and ending on July 20 or so. As a result we have two long holidays in summer and winter. In addition, we have two 7-day holiday periods: May 1-7; Oct 1-7. These break times are an excellent opportunity for our teachers to further explore China.
The teachers will teach either Oral English, Written English, Teaching Methodology, or A Survey of Britain and America to English majors. Priority will be placed on teaching Oral English. Foreign teachers may be asked to teach more than one of the above-mentioned courses depending on their workload and the program’s need. Usually foreign teachers teach mainly oral English.
Foreign teachers teach about 14 hours each week from Monday to Friday, usually in the morning. The average size of a class is 30. English majors also have many activities to attend, such as: English Corner, Chat-room, speaking competitions, voluntary work and contributing to Sandstorm, an English newspaper intended for students across campus. Foreign teachers are collectively responsible for editing the Sandstorm newspaper, which comes out four times each academic year.
3. Questions regarding general support and teaching support:
a. How does the visa application work?
b. Will I have my own office space? How big? Will it be private?
c. Will someone be able to provide me with clerical assistance?
Answers: The candidate will email me their resume and the scanned copies of their graduation certificate (or certification for the degree they have obtained) and certification to teach English as a second language, such as ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL as well as a scanned copy of their passport, health certificate, and the last page of the contract copy with names signed. With these documents, I will apply for their work permit and file their visa application form. I will send the completed forms to the candidate. The candidate is then able to apply through their local Chinese embassy for a Z Visa. Driver’s licenses are not needed.
Regarding office space, we have a very spacious staff room. Foreign teachers share it with their Chinese colleagues before or after class sessions or during class breaks, but they are generally expected to prepare lessons and check students’ assignments in their apartment where it will be more convenient. Every apartment includes a study room, a computer, and a printer.
The International Affairs Office supports our foreign teaching staff. From directing them to necessary on campus facilities, to helping them find things in Yulin City, to dispatching maintenance staff in the event of a problem in an apartment, we do all we can to support our foreign teachers and ensure that their time in Yulin is pleasant and comfortable.
4. Questions regarding finances:
a. Is roundtrip air fare provided?
b. Will I be provided with faculty housing?
c. How much spending money will I need per month?
d. Will I have to pay Chinese income tax and other taxes or fees?
Answers: total financial compensation, including roundtrip air fare and exact monthly salary are determined after interviewing the prospective teacher and prior to making a final decision about employment.
Generally, we offer 4500 – 5500 RMB Yuan per month as salary (800 RMB Yuan is more than enough to survive comfortably in Yulin in one month). We will provide an apartment of comfortable size for each new teacher. The apartment is furnished with all necessary living and working equipment, including a telephone, internet, gas, bath, etc., for which the University will pay. Faculty housing apartments are all located on campus, but they vary slightly in terms of size and layout. Some are larger than others. Normally, housing is assigned on the basis of first come, first served. Teachers of the same gender may choose to share one house in which there are at least two bedrooms and one study room. Residents are not allowed to keep pets in the house or on campus. Teachers are required to abide by the school regulations, including asking the International Affairs Office for permission before organizing activities on campus. We ask that foreign teachers let us know their plans for weekends or holidays if they need to go travel outside of Yulin. This is so that we may support their safety at all times.
5. Question: What other information have you found to be important or helpful to prior candidates?
Answer: It is preferable if the candidate has a bachelors degree or higher. Also the contract requires foreign teachers to receive permission from the International Affairs Office before accepting work outside of the campus.
We want to say again how confident we are that prospective foreign teachers will enjoy their time teaching English and learning Chinese at Yulin University, and if there is ever anything I or my colleagues can reasonably do to support them, they can count on that.